How do you make a toddler sleep comfortably while traveling? A toddler travel bed can be the answer. Toddler beds are exclusively designed to create a comfortable space for a toddler to sleep while traveling.
There are different types of toddler travel beds to choose from, depending on your requirements. MomJunction tells you about the types of such beds and shares a list of the best toddler travel beds that you may consider buying.
What Is A Toddler Travel Bed?
A toddler travel bed is a portable bed that you can take along when you are traveling with the little one. The bed has integrated padding or a soft surface for the toddler to sleep on.
The travel bed gives your child his or her own place to sleep. There can be several other advantages of a toddler bed for travel.
Why Choose A Toddler Travel Bed?
Carrying a separate bed for your toddler might seem like a hassle, considering the luggage you are likely to have when traveling. But these beds have their advantages and could make the journey less stressful for the kid. Primary benefits of buying a toddler travel bed are mentioned below:
- Avoids co-sleeping: If your toddler is used to sleeping by themselves at home, then they may not be comfortable co-sleeping during travel. The travel bed gives them their own space.
- Useful in the hotel too: If you are not sure the hotel provides an extra bed for a toddler, then a travel bed can be used for the child.
- Saves money on extra beds: Booking a separate bed for a toddler can cost extra at a hotel. If you travel a lot, then it can add up to some large bills. Buying a toddler travel bed is a one-time investment and can save money in the long run.
- Can work as a spare bed: You can use the toddler travel bed as an extra bed at home. It can come handy when you have relatives or friends with toddlers paying a visit.
You can pick toddler travel beds in different shapes and sizes depending on what works the best for them. Find out more about the options next.
Types Of Toddler Travel Beds
Toddler travel beds belong to one of the following categories:
- Standard inflatable bed: An inflatable mattress, which can be carried in a bag when deflated, acts as the bed. Most manufacturers ship the bed with an air pump. Inflatable beds are compact and can be filled with the desired quantity of air to adjust the softness of the bed. The downside can be carrying the oddly-shaped air pump along with the bed.
- Toddler-ready bed: This is also an inflatable mattress with an attached blanket and pillow; hence the name toddler-ready. You do not have to carry a pillow and blanket separately.
- Foldable travel bed: The bed neatly wraps to take a suitcase-like form and has handles on top for carrying it along. It may take more space, but there are no hassles of inflating or deflating the bed.
- Portable cot: The bed is shaped like a cot with foldable metal legs. The bed’s fabric is mostly removable and washable. Toddler travel cots are useful when you are camping outdoors, and you do not want the toddler to sleep on the ground. The cot has minimal padding and is heavier, but provides the advantage of sleeping on a raised platform.
Several brands offer toddler travel beds of different models. Knowing what you need can help you make the right pick.
How To Choose A Toddler Travel Bed?
Keep the following factors in mind when exploring a travel bed for your toddler:
- Age and weight specifications: Most travel beds have a weight and age limit. Check the specifications so that you know your little one will fit on it with no discomfort.
- Place of usage: If you are traveling to a place where you know you will get a blanket and pillow, then you can pick a basic inflatable travel mattress for your toddler. If you are camping, then a cot will be better. Decide the right type of toddler travel bed depending on your travel requirements.
- Mode of transport: Foldable, standard inflatable mattresses are lightweight and suitable for airline travel. If you are traveling by road, then you can consider the travel cot with its foldable metal legs. Pick whatever suits your mode of transport.
Next, we list down the 11 best toddler travel beds that you may consider.
11 Best Toddler Beds
Standard Inflatable Beds
1. Hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Travel Bed
- It is made of material thicker than the one used by other brands. It makes the product leak-proof and nearly puncture-proof.
- The inner mattress can be removed from the outer frame. It makes putting a bedsheet and tucking it into the corners easier. Cleaning the base of the mattress is also easy.
- The pump is powerful and inflates the bed in only 30 seconds.
- The materials used are safe for a toddler and free of BPA, phthalate, and lead.
2. The Shrunks Travel Toddler Bed
- The edge of the bed is raised to form guard rails. It prevents the toddler from accidentally rolling out on to the floor while asleep.
- A gap between the inner mattress and the edges enables you to tuck in the sheets and blankets. It helps keep things tidy.
- You get an electric pump and a carry bag with the bed. The pump is powerful and inflates the entire bed in only five minutes. The air pump can also be used for deflation.
- The bed is made from toddler-safe PVC and has no BPA, lead, and phthalate.
3. EasyGoProducts Inflate Toddler Travel Bed
- It is made from high-quality, puncture-resistant vinyl. The seams of the bed are reinforced, which eliminates the chances of air escaping from the mattress.
- The design creates a wide bumper on the edge to prevent the toddler from rolling over during sleep.
- The bed is made from materials free from BPA, phthalate, and lead.
- You get an air pump to inflate the bed. When not in use, deflate the mattress, roll it, and store it in the bag that ships with it. The manufacturer also ships an inflatable pillow with the bed.
4. HOMCA Air Travel Bed For Toddlers
- It is made from toddler-safe PVC material, which is also water resistant. The ridges on the bed provide grip for a toddler sleeping or sitting on it.
- There is a large backrest on one edge of the bed. Bumpers that also work as armrests flank the backrest.
- Both backrest and bumpers are removable and separately inflatable.
- The top bumpers of the bed feature cup holders. These are useful for holding cups, feeding bottles, and toys.
5. My First ReadyBed
- The bed comes with a removable and washable cover. You also get a pillow and blanket with it.
- The raised bumpers on the top section of the bed prevent rollovers.
- A side pocket provides essential storage place.
- The manufacturer sells the bed with a carry bag and a pump.
6. Diggin Bear Hug My First Ready Bed
- It is a toddler-ready bed that ships with a carrying bag and pumps. The cover is removable and machine washable.
- There is an adorable, teddy bear-shaped pillow on the top section of the bed.
- It also sports bumpers on the top edge for safety.
Best Foldable Travel Bed
7. Milliard Toddler Nap Mat
- The bed is made of three equal sized squares which fold form a rectangular bed when unfolded.
- You can fold the squares on top of each other to make a high-seating pillow for the toddler.
- The external cover is removable and machine washable, which makes maintenance easy.
- The outer cover is made from fabric that uses bamboo fiber. The mattress is filled with foam, which is free from toxins and chemicals.
8. Milliard Portable Toddler Bumper Bed
- The bed folds right from the center and is held together by Velcro straps. A handle on the top makes it convenient to carry.
- The edges of the bed are high, and it gives the bed an almost sandbox-like appearance. The bumper walls are also high.
- It comes with a bedsheet and an outer cover that are removable for washing.
9. Leachco BumpZZZ Travel Bed (4.2)
- There is foam padding all around the bed. Even the bumpers are padded with foam for the safety of the toddler.
- You can separate the outer bumper padding from the inner pad.
- The cover of the inner pad and bumper padding is removable and machine-washable.
- The manufacturer ships the bed with a carry bag. Roll the bed and store it in the bag.
Best Portable Cot
10. Regalo My Cot Portable Toddler Bed (4.4)
- The bed’s surface is made from durable and waterproof nylon. You can remove the fabric and wash it.
- Install the bed by just opening the frame of the bed. Just place it wherever you want, and it’s ready.
- Since the sleeping surface is above the ground, you can take the bed to many places including beaches.
- The frame is lightweight and easy for parents to carry.
11. Joovy Foocot Child Cot (4.3)
- The cot contains a steel frame, which is rigid yet lightweight.
- The top fabric is made from durable nylon. Although it is attached to the frame, you can spot-clean it using a sponge and soapy water.
- There is a pocket each on either side of the bed to store toys, books, and other accessories.
- It comes with a travel bag for storage. The attached shoulder bag makes it convenient to carry it around.
Toddler travel beds are of great help while traveling or when you need an extra foldable bed at home. Easy maintenance and lightweight are the hallmarks of most travel beds. Ultimately, when the toddler settles for the night on their own bed, it leaves parents with peace of mind.
Have you used a toddler travel bed? Which type does your toddler prefer? Do tell us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
Latest posts by Rohit Garoo (see all)
- 11 Best Toddler Travel Beds To Buy In 2019 – March 28, 2019
- 13 Best Bottle Sterilizers For Babies In 2019 – March 27, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Sunglasses For 2019 – March 27, 2019
- 11 Best Baby Nail Clippers To Buy In 2019 – March 26, 2019
- 15 Best Nursing Bras For Breastfeeding Moms In 2019 – March 25, 2019
- 11 Best Bottle Warmers For Babies: A Complete Guide – March 25, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Mobiles For 2019: A Complete Buyer’s Guide – March 25, 2019
- 13 Best Nursing Pillows To Buy In 2019 – March 25, 2019
- 31 Fascinating Facts About Machu Picchu For Kids – March 19, 2019
- 51 Intriguing Facts About Aztecs – March 18, 2019