The Super Bowl is just a few weeks away, and that means its time to prepare for one of America’s favorite pastimes. Even if you don’t watch football or even know the names of the teams playing, everyone loves to get together to enjoy delicious food, great commercials, and entertaining company. These 5 Easy and Healthy Super Bowl recipes from registered dietitian Olivia Wagner are healthy and great for hosting or taking along if you’re going to a friend’s house for the festivities.
5 Easy and Healthy Super Bowl Recipes You Need to Make
1. Recipe #1: Artichoke, Spinach, and Bacon Dip
- 6 to 8 slices of bacon, minced
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/8 cup fresh mozzarella
- 2 tbsp paleo mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1/3 cup frozen spinach
- 1/3 cup of artichoke hearts
Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat in a medium skillet, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 8 minutes.
TRANSFER the bacon to paper towels using a slotted spoon and let it drain.
MIX together cream cheese, mozzarella, mayonnaise, and horseradish in a medium bowl.
GENTLY STIR in spinach and artichoke hearts with a pinch of salt.
2. Healthy Recipe #2: Roasted Jalapeno Avocado Salsa
- 5 jalapeños
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced in cubes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- Bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Pinch of salt, to taste
PREHEAT the broiler.
SLICE the stems from the jalapeños, slice the vertically in half and scrape the seeds out.
LINE a small baking sheet with foil.
PLACE the jalapeños open side down on the baking sheet and roast for 4-5 minutes until they are charred and the skin is blistered.
3. Healthy Super Bowl Recipe #3: Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Bites
- 2 cups Simple Mills Pizza Dough Mix
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apricot or mango fruit-sweetened jam or spread
- 1/4 cup sriracha chile or your favorite brand of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
PREHEAT the oven to 450 degrees F.
MIX all breading ingredients, except cauliflower, in a bowl until blended.
TOSS 5-7 florets at a time in the breading mixture with a spoon, and then place them on a greased jelly roll pan.
BAKE for 20 minutes.
MIX all sauce ingredients in a small pot on the stovetop and heat on medium until boiling.
BOIL for one minute, then remove from heat.
TOSS florets in the buffalo sauce with a spoon once cauliflower is done baking. Alternatively, place the sauce in a small bowl on the side for dipping the cauliflower bites.
SERVE immediately with celery and carrot sticks, and a zesty paleo ranch or homemade blue cheese dressing.
4. Easy Super Bowl Recipe #4: Cracker Trail Mix
- 1 box of Simple Mills Fine Ground Sea Salt crackers
- 1 bag of Quinn Snacks honey pretzel sticks
- 2 cups Quinn Snacks sea salt popcorn
- 1 cup Unreal candy coated milk chocolates
SERVE & enjoy!
5. Fun Super Bowl Recipe #5: Football Cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 box Simple Mills Vanilla Cake & Cupcake Mix (or Chocolate Muffin & Cake mix)
- 1-2 tubs Simple Mills Chocolate Frosting
- 1 tub Simple Mills Vanilla Frosting
Make cupcakes according to instructions on the box
Allow frosting to come to room temperature. (Microwave for a few seconds and stir for extra spreadability)
Using a piping bag or ziploc bag with a corner cut off, pipe chocolate frosting in the shape of a football
Using a new piping bag or ziploc bag, add stitches with the vanilla frosting
The Super Bowl is fun, but Super Bowl food doesn’t have to be unhealthy or hard to make! These Easy 5 Super Bowl recipes are fun to make, taste delicious, and won’t leave you feeling guilty afterwards.
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out this article on some other superfood snacks for the Super Bowl
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL
Olivia Wagner is a Functional Nutrition Dietitian for Simple Mills — a portfolio brand with full baking, cookie and cracker lines. They are committed to creating products with short, easy to identify ingredient lines.