Umbrella strollers are perfect for parents who want a lightweight mode of transport for the baby. These strollers are easy to fold and carry and fit comfortably inside your car’s trunk when you are traveling long distances. In this MomJunction post, we give you a list of the 11 best umbrella strollers that make it easy to move with the baby from place to place.
What Is An Umbrella Stroller?
An umbrella stroller is a type of infant/toddler stroller that is lightweight and compact. The stroller is so compact that it almost folds into a shape of a large outdoor umbrella, hence the name of the stroller. The purpose of an umbrella stroller is easy portability for the parents.
For this reason, umbrella strollers have a slender metal frame, thin wheels, and few or no accessories to keep the weight of the stroller on the lower side.
How To Choose An Umbrella Stroller?
Look for the following features when considering an umbrella stroller:
- Lightweight: The weight of the stroller is of priority, so pick one that is lightweight and easy to carry. There is no point buying a bulky umbrella stroller that hinders your mobility. Check the total weight of the stroller with the harness and accessories fitted into it.
- Easy fold: An easy-to-fold design complements the low weight. You can carry the umbrella stroller better when you can fold it quickly. A hassle-free folding mechanism should be given preference when picking an umbrella stroller.
- Still safe for baby: The low weight and easy-fold features should not compromise the baby’s safety. The stroller must have a five-point or three-point harness to keep the baby secure in their place.
Most umbrella strollers do not come with accessories like a baby tray, cup holders, a rain cover, etc. to keep the weight of the stroller on the lower side. Lack of accessories is thus not a deal breaker.
11 Best Umbrella Strollers
1. Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller
Buy Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 15.8lb (7.1kg)
- The stroller frame is entirely made from aluminum, which makes it extremely lightweight yet durable.
- A five-point harness along with a four position recline of the backrest.
- The canopy is adjustable for optimum protection. You can also remove the canopy when not in use.
- Compact and easy fold. Auto lock feature locks the stroller immediately after you fold it.
- A basket at the base of the stroller frame lets you carry the baby’s essential items.
- There is a removable cup holder along with a pouch at the back of the stroller for the parent to place their phone.
- Maximum weight carrying capacity is 50lb (22.6kg).
2. GB Pockit Stroller
Buy GB Pockit Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 9.5lb (4.3kg)
- It is an ultra-compact umbrella stroller that almost folds into a small square and can get into most travel bags.
- The manufacturer claims it to be the world’s smallest stroller in its folded form.
- The frame is made with durable materials despite its lightweight.
- The front wheels have a swivel feature, which can be locked with the flick of a switch.
- A small basket at the base of the stroller provides adequate space to store baby’s essential items.
- It has a maximum weight carrying capacity of 55lb (25kg).
3. Babyzen YOYO+ Stroller
Buy Babyzen YOYO+ Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 13lb (5.8kg)
- A compact stroller with shock absorbent suspension for a smooth ride.
- It comes with a canopy that you can extend for extra protection.
- It comes with a storage pouch at the back of the canopy, for the parent to store their items.
- There is a storage basket at the base of the stroller.
- Maximum weight limit is 35lb (15.8kg).
4. ZOE XL1 V2 Umbrella Stroller
Buy ZOE XL1 V2 Umbrella Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 11lb (5kg)
- You can fold this stroller quickly with a single hand when you want to put it away.
- A large four-panel canopy extends all the way forward to protect the baby from sunlight.
- The stroller comes with a baby cup holder and a snack cup. It also has a cup holder for the parent.
- There’s a large elastic basket at the base of the stroller.
- A high handlebar and adequate leg space for the parent makes it easy to walk along when pushing the stroller.
- Maximum weight limit is 50lb (22.6kg).
5. Britax B-Lively Lightweight Stroller
Buy Britax B-Lively Lightweight Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 20lb (9kg)
- Lightweight for the parent but very comfortable for the baby. The backrest can be adjusted to any recline position for the comfort of the baby.
- Comes with a large basket at the base of the stroller, which has a carrying capacity of 10lb (4.5kg).
- Single hand, quick fold option makes it convenient to carry the stroller when traveling.
- A canopy for shade, with a peek-a-boo window to see the baby.
- Maximum weight limit is 55lb (25kg).
6. Cosco Umbrella Stroller
Buy Cosco Umbrella Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 7.2lb (3.2kg)
- This ultra lightweight stroller can be easily carried anywhere.
- Compact design, yet made with durable materials.
- The infant seat has a three-point harness and is adequately padded for maximum comfort.
- Maximum weight is 40lb (18.1kg).
- Comes in unique and appealing designs and colors.
7. Maclaren Mark II with Recline
Buy Maclaren Mark II with Recline @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 7.3lb (3.3kg)
- Has a multiple-position reclining backrest and a five-point harness to keep the baby secure.
- A waterproof canopy helps shield the baby during rain. A peek-a-boo window at the back of the stroller seat lets the parent see the baby inside.
- Cargo basket at the bottom of the stroller frame.
- Sturdy four-wheel suspension. Foot-activated, linked rear brakes.
- It can hold a maximum weight of 55lb (25kg).
8. Quinny Yezz Stroller
Buy Quinny Yezz Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 11lb (5kg)
- The frame is made of high-quality plastic, which is lightweight but also durable.
- Folds quickly and has a shoulder strap that allows you to carry it on the shoulder.
- The seat features a three-point harness for the safety of the baby.
- Liquid and dust repellent seat materials. You can clean with a cloth soaked in warm soapy water.
- Maximum weight capacity is 40lb (18kg).
9. Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini 3W Single Stroller
Buy Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini 3W Single Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 17.6lb (8kg)
- The three-wheel design makes it easy to maneuver, making it an excellent umbrella stroller for urban use.
- One pull of the tab at the base of the seat lets you fold the stroller with a single hand.
- A sun protection canopy protects the baby from UV rays.
- A peek-a-boo window on top of the canopy lets the parent see the baby. The backrest reclines easily.
- Maximum weight carrying capacity is 23lb (10.4kg).
10. Peg Perego Pliko Mini Umbrella Stroller
Buy Peg Perego Pliko Mini Umbrella Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 13.6lb (6.1kg)
- Adjustable handles make it convenient for taller parents.
- Swivel motion for the front wheel with a lock feature.
- Easy-to-fold design. The folded stroller stands all by itself without the need for support.
- A side handle makes it easy to carry the stroller. The quick-release feature opens the stroller in a single go.
- Linked rear brake for both the rear wheels.
- Maximum weight bearing capacity is 45lb (20.4kg).
11. Baby Trend Rocket Lightweight Stroller
Buy Baby Trend Rocket Lightweight Stroller @ www.amazon.com
Stroller weight: 13.23lb (6kg)
- A comfortable seat for the baby and a parent organizer with two cup holders at the back.
- The compact fold makes it very easy to carry and store this umbrella stroller.
- Five-point harness for safety. There is a storage basket at the base to keep the baby’s essential items.
- Foot-activated, linked rear brakes.
- Maximum weight carrying capacity is 50lb (22.6kg).
Keeping in mind the portability and ease of use, pick an umbrella stroller that suits you best. That said, ensure that the stroller is comfortable and safe enough for the child, even if you are going to use the stroller occasionally.
Have you used an umbrella stroller? Tell us your choice of stroller and experience in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
Latest posts by Rohit Garoo (see all)
- 11 Best Umbrella Strollers In 2019 – February 28, 2019
- 15 Best Diaper Bags To Buy In 2019 – February 28, 2019
- 13 Best Jogging Strollers To Buy In 2019 – February 28, 2019
- 11 Best Nipple Creams For Breastfeeding Moms To Buy In 2019 – February 28, 2019
- 43 Interesting Facts About Japan – February 28, 2019
- 25 Historical New York Colony Facts – February 28, 2019
- 11 Best Diaper Pails To Buy In 2019 – February 27, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Play Mats To Buy In 2019 – February 27, 2019
- 15 Best baby carriers to buy in 2019 – February 27, 2019
- 45 Interesting Facts About Opossums – February 27, 2019