If you work from home you know that your home office has to be two things: functional and stylish. These 5 tips to create the perfect home office space will help you create an area that is not only homey, but also keeps you organized, efficient, and productive. If your home office space is located in an area where guests can see it when they are visiting or it doubles as a guest room, you want to be sure that it works for you as well as matches the rest of the decor of your home.
1. Design Your Color Palette
When designing (or redesigning) your home office space, the first thing you should do is decide the color palette you want to use. The type of job you have or what kind of energy you want to incorporate into your workflow, along with your color preferences and personal style, will play a big part in how you want your office to look. Here are the meanings behind some colors to give you idea of where to start:
- Blue- This is great for those working in technical fields who really need to focus.
- Green- If you’re working long hours, this might be the right template for you. Green is neutral and easy on the eyes, and it also creates balance.
- Yellow- Creative types might want to look for those colors in the yellow genre.
- Red- Gym buff or working in a position that showcases something physically demanding? You might want to use red to help signify and emulate strength.
- Purple- If you work in therapies or deep thought processes, you might want to look at the purple hues.
- Gray- This is a great neutral tone and can give you a clean, minimalist look.
2. Check Out Pinterest
Once you have decided on the color palette based on your work, your personal style, and the emotional response you want to get when working in your office, you can go to the source of all great ideas to get design tips: Pinterest. Here are some office spaces from Pinterest based on some of the color palettes above:
3. Make it Functional
The only way you are going to be able to effectively use your office is if it is functional for you. You must be able to create a space that has the things in it you need. If you need a large table to draw, measure, or create, be sure to add that into your space. If you need to make sure you have great lighting for images or videos, choose a space in your home that has wonderful natural light (if possible).
You also want to be sure your space is organized. Keep your desk free of clutter by adding a filing cabinet, paper organizers, baskets, and trays to your desk and workspace. Make sure you have a place for everything by adding bins, pen holders, and organizer trays inside your desk drawers so you can find what you need when you need it.
4. Add Things That Make You Smile
One thing to remember when creating your home office is that it is your home. Despite it being your workspace and the place you need to be your most productive, it also shares a space in which you are with your family and making memories. Oftentimes home offices double as a work place for your kids to do their homework or even as a guest room. With this in mind, it is important to ensure that you give your home office space a warm, welcoming, ‘homey’ feel.
One easy way to do this is by creating a gallery wall of family photos, inspirational quotes, or your favorite images to hang up on the wall. CanvasPop creates gorgeous canvases for your home’s gallery wall. Their prints provide some of the best quality canvas prints that will meet your home and your office style and needs.
CanvasPop has several options available to create the perfect gallery wall in your home office space:
- If you’re looking to create a varied gallery wall with different sizes, CanvasPop’s canvas prints are probably best.
- Looking for something a little fancier? You can get framed art prints to class up your office space.
- If you have a landscape that brings you joy and harmony (or maybe a mental escape), the triptych canvas prints are for you.
- Can’t decide? A photo collage can be expertly created to ensure you have all the images you want for your gallery wall.
CanvasPop will send you a design ahead of time for your approval before they print, so you can make sure your images are exactly the way you want them. And they have a 100% lifetime guarantee, so you know you’re getting exactly what you want at a high quality and affordable pricing.
A quick glance at these images will not only give you inspiration when you need it the most, but it will also make your home office space feel less “office-like,” and more seamlessly integrate with the rest of your home’s style. After all, isn’t being in the comfort of your own home one of the perks of working from home? Why not make your home office reflect that?
5. Zen It Up
As much as you might love your office with its new color palette, its functional yet stylish furniture, and your favorite memories hanging on the wall, it can still be a place of stress. Our work, no matter how much we love it, can feel overwhelming at times. It is important to create a peaceful environment within our office, and we can do this easily by adding a few things such as:
Creating the perfect home office space is essential to ensuring that you have a workspace that is not only functional and productive for you but also fits your home and your personal style. By getting the right colors and furniture that fit your needs, all while integrating things that make it feel like home, like a gallery wall of your favorite images, will make it feel like less of a cubicle and more like a place you never want to leave.
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out this article on 10 Time Management Tips for Work from Home Moms.
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL