When the sun is bright, it is good to use sun-protective gear for the baby. You may think of sunscreen lotion or a hat to protect the delicate skin of the baby. But what about the eyes? The glaring UV rays of the sun can cause discomfort to the baby’s eyes.
Sunglasses can avoid discomfort to the baby’s eyes when you are outdoors on a sunny day. In this article, MomJunction tells you all about sunglasses for babies and lists the 15 best sunglasses for babies and toddlers.
Do Babies Need Sunglasses?
Yes. The American Academy of Ophthalmology states that there is no reason why babies cannot wear sunglasses as long as the glasses meet the ANSI Z80.3 standards (1). Sunglasses protect the eyes from the ultraviolet rays, which can have damaging effects on the eyes (2). The right pair of sunglasses for a baby:
- Prevents degeneration of eye tissue and vision complications
- Prevents complex eye problems such as glaucoma and cataracts
- Makes it easier for the baby to see through intense sunlight by blocking the glare
- Prevents burning of the eye tissue, which is like a sunburn of the eye
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends sunglasses during winter too, to protect the eyes from the UV rays that bounce off the snow (3). That said, when can you buy the baby’s first pair of sunglasses?
What Is The Right Age To Start Using Sunglasses?
Babies can wear sunglasses right from the first month of their life. However, infants should ideally be kept out of direct sunlight until they are at least six-months-old (4). You can use accessories like an umbrella or a stroller canopy to prevent direct exposure to the sunlight. Once your baby is older than six months, you may consider sunglasses, especially when visiting places like a beach that have intense sunlight.
Your baby deserves nothing but the best of sunglasses that protect those beautiful eyes. Next, we tell you how to choose them.
How To Choose Sunglasses For Babies?
Check for the following features when selecting sunglasses for babies:
- UVA and UVB protection: Sunglasses should protect the eyes from the ultraviolet rays of both type A and B. Pick sunglasses that state at least 95% UV protection, which means the lens must be coated with a material that will filter out 95% of UVA and UVB rays. It is even better if you can get a pair of glasses that offer 100% protection from these rays.
- Suitable tint: Pick a tint that is ideal for the place of use. Darker tints are better for places with a lot of reflected sunlight, like the beach. Lighter tints can work great for visits to the park.
- Shatter-resistant lenses: These lenses do not break even when subjected to daily rough use. They are made from durable polycarbonate. Look for words like ‘shatter-resistant,’ ‘shatter-proof,’ and ‘impact-resistant’ in the description.
- Plastic or rubber frame material: These materials are flexible and can even withstand a fall. You will also find sunglasses made from plastic and rubber, with smooth edges that do not dig into the baby’s skin.
- Right size: Since the baby’s sunglasses are small, most manufacturers mention the length of the frame in millimeters. However, not all manufacturers follow standardized measurements. So, check the size of the sunglasses and if required measure the baby’s face from one edge of the eyebrow to another before selecting one.
- Frame design with maximum coverage: Pick a frame shape that fits well on your baby’s face and cuts off sunlight even from the corners.
- Headband: An attached headband keeps the sunglasses in their place and also prevents the baby from pulling off the sunglasses.
- Polarization is a good choice: Polarized lenses are excellent at filtering out glare when sunlight reflects from objects and surfaces. Choose only polarized baby sunglasses when planning to visit a beach or spending time around an outdoor pool.
Considering the selection criteria mentioned above, we give you a list of the best baby sunglasses available in the market.
15 Best Sunglasses For Babies
1. FCTRY Hipsterkid Baby Sunglasses
- The lenses offer 100% UV protection and are also polarized to provide excellent glare protection.
- Shatter-resistant lenses make the sunglasses are a great choice for active babies.
- The frame is made from sturdy plastic that is free from BPA, phthalate, and PVC.
- Every frame comes with a strap that attaches to the arms of the glasses. The strap holds the sunglasses in its place.
2. Roshambo Baby Shades
- The model has two options for the lens: standard or polarized.
- The lenses do not break and provide 100% protection against UVA, B, and C rays.
- The frame is durable and made from high-quality, flexible plastic. It does not break even if your baby drops it or handles it roughly.
- These sunglasses are lightweight too; they are about 25% lighter than a few other branded baby sunglasses.
3. Cocosand Baby Sunglasses
- The entire frame is made from flexible plastic. You can bend the frame right the center without breaking it. The plastic is non-toxic.
- The lenses are shatter-resistant and provide 100% protection from UV rays.
- Each lens has a mirror-like coating at the front that blocks out any harsh glare.
- The frame has an elastic strap instead of arms and makes a comfortable headband.
- The sunglasses come with a soft microfiber pouch for easy portability.
4. Kushies Toddler Sunglasses
- The frame is made from high-quality DuPont rubber. It is durable and resistant to damage from everyday use.
- The arms of the sunglasses are bendable and virtually unbreakable.
- The lens provides 100% protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- These sunglasses meet the specifications of the American Optometric Association.
5. Bib-On Vintage-Best Sunglasses
- The sunglasses are available in a variety of sizes to fit babies and toddlers.
- They are made from rubberized plastic, which is resistant to damage. You can get the sunglasses in more than 20 colors.
- A matte finish of the plastic protects against fingerprints and dirt stains.
- The plastic lenses are impact resistant and offer 100% UV protection.
- The manufacturer ships the sunglasses with a high-quality microfiber cloth and a carrying pouch for safe storage.
6. Kushies Sunglasses For Babies
- You can get the sunglasses in varied sizes for newborn babies to toddlers.
- The plastic of the frame is bendable, which renders it virtually unbreakable and ideal for active babies.
- The material is free from BPA, PVC, phthalate, and lead.
- The lenses block 100% of UV rays. The sunglasses meet the specifications set by the American Optometric Association.
7. Tuga Baby Sunglasses
- The removable, elastic headband is wide enough to distribute the weight of the sunglasses comfortably.
- Each set comes with two headband straps – one small and another large to accommodate the growing head of the baby.
- Lenses provide 100% protection against UV rays. The lenses are made from shatterproof polycarbonate.
- You get a convenient carrying case with every set of sunglasses. The strap and sunglasses both fit into the case.
- You can choose from six colors. The color of the frame, strap, and the carrying case stay the same.
8. Rivbos Rubber Polarized Sunglasses
- It is designed for older toddlers. The frame is made from soft, rubberized plastic, which is flexible and virtually indestructible.
- The frame can withstand twisting and bending to prevent breaking of the arms.
- The lenses protect the eyes not just from UV light but also from blue spectrum light.
- Lenses are also polarized and resistant to smudges.
- A loop attached to the arms of the frame holds the sunglasses in their place.
9. Babiators Unisex Original Aviator Sunglasses
- The frames are stylish yet durable. The plastic is flexible, which means it can withstand rough handling by the baby.
- It offers 100% protection against the UVA and UVB rays.
- The lenses are impact-resistant and do not shatter.
- Despite the fantastic build quality, the sunglasses do not contain any toxic materials. They are free from BPA and phthalate.
10. Real Shades Explorer Sunglasses
- It has a wrap around frame with arms angled such that they curve around the head and keep the glasses in place.
- These sunglasses offer 100% protection against UV rays. The lenses are made from durable polycarbonate material.
- An adjustable strap lets you find the right fit for your baby’s head.
- You can choose from a variety of colors for the sunglasses.
11. Banz Advernture Banz Sunglasses
- It comes with a removable headband that can be adjusted according to the size of the baby’s head. The band and the frame come in matching colors.
- The Velcro pads on the headband snugly fit the head to keep the sunglasses in their place.
- The headband is made from a moisture-wicking material. There are also no chemicals used in the making of the band.
- The wraparound design of the frame offers UV-protection to the eyes from the sides as well.
- The plastic lenses are resistant to impact. They are also made to provide 100% UV protection and minimize the glare.
12. TIJN Kids Flexible Toddler Sunglasses
- These stylish sunglasses with circular lenses are designed for toddlers who love to explore the outdoors in summer.
- The frame and the arms are made from flexible rubber. Rubber hinges are used to attach the arms to the frame. Toddlers can bend the sunglasses any way they want without causing damage.
- Lenses are polarized to eliminate glare. You also get 100% UV protection.
- Since the frame is made from rubber, it is comfortable for a toddler to wear.
13. Minishade Flexible Toddler Sunglasses
- It has a flexible and robust frame; you can even twist the arms without causing them damage. The frame is designed for active use.
- The materials used are safe and do not contain lead, BPA, PVC, and phthalate.
- It provides 100% protection against UV light. The lenses are also polarized for added protection.
14. Carter’s Protected Baby Sunglasses
- These sunglasses are available in a unisex design and an exclusive design for boys. They are sold in a pack of two.
- The lenses provide 100% protection against UV rays and are shatter-resistant.
- The frame is made from materials that are comfortable and also durable.
- You can get them in assorted colors, with eye-catching graphics and prints.
15. Julbo Looping Baby Sunglasses
- The best part about these sunglasses is that they are reversible. The baby can wear it any side up.
- There are no hinges in the sunglasses, which means there are fewer moving parts.
- The wraparound design covers the eye, preventing any stray rays of sunlight from entering the eyes.
- A removable elastic cord attaches at the end of the arms of the sunglasses, thus forming a headband.
- The lenses are shock-resistant and protect from UV light.
Pick a pair of sunglasses that meet your requirements and fit the baby best. While they may seem vain in some cases, sunglasses are essential summertime accessories to protect the baby from the sun when you are outdoors. The baby’s eyes are sensitive to the ultraviolet rays, and sunglasses provide the requisite protection. So don’t compromise in getting the best pair for your little one.
What do you do to protect your baby’s eyes on sunny days? Tell us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
Latest posts by Rohit Garoo (see all)
- 15 Best Baby Sunglasses For 2019 – March 27, 2019
- 11 Best Baby Nail Clippers To Buy In 2019 – March 26, 2019
- 15 Best Nursing Bras For Breastfeeding Moms In 2019 – March 25, 2019
- 11 Best Bottle Warmers For Babies: A Complete Guide – March 25, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Mobiles For 2019: A Complete Buyer’s Guide – March 25, 2019
- 13 Best Nursing Pillows To Buy In 2019 – March 25, 2019
- 31 Fascinating Facts About Machu Picchu For Kids – March 19, 2019
- 51 Intriguing Facts About Aztecs – March 18, 2019
- 13 Best Breast Milk Storage Bags To Buy In 2019 – March 14, 2019
- 35 Fascinating Facts About Koala Bear – March 7, 2019