Your baby’s first steps bring you as much responsibility as joy. While it is a treat to the eyes to see the little one move around the house, keeping them safe is a challenge.
You need to baby-proof the house when your little one is on the move. One of the things to do to keep your walking baby safe is to close the electric outlets within the baby’s reach. An electrical outlet cover comes handy.
In this MomJunction post, we guide you in choosing the right type of outlet covers for your home, and the 15 best electrical outlet covers that you may consider for buying.
What Is An Outlet Cover?
An electrical outlet cover, also called power outlet cover or outlet cover, is a plastic cover that goes over the domestic power outlet. The cover blocks any access to the wall socket and prevents babies from sticking their fingers into it.
The openings or holes in the outlets make the power outlets interesting to a baby. A curious baby or toddler may put their fingers in the socket that they can access when walking or crawling. This can be dangerous for the baby, which is why covering the power outlets should be on top of your list.
There are different types of power outlet covers. You may choose one depending on the type of electrical outlets in your home.
Types Of Power Outlet Covers
There are four types of power outlet covers:
- Outlet plug cover: These are caps that fit into the outlet. The pins on the plastic cap occupy the socket and keep the cap at its place. Plastic outlet covers are the most economical option and you can purchase them in bulk.
- Box covers: These are box-shaped covers that go over the electrical outlets that an appliance has been plugged to. Box covers are usually made from transparent plastic so that you can see the plugs inside. A groove allows the passage of the wire. Box covers require replacement of the existing outlet’s faceplate with the one provided by the box cover manufacturer.
- Sliding cover: It contains a faceplate with an external port cover that slides to hide the holes. You can push the plate to the side while inserting the plug to reveal the outlet. This design keeps the outlet covered when not in use.
- Outlet cover panel: The panel covers the entire outlet. It can be either attached to the outlet socket or screwed to the wall. This type of cover is ideal for covering outlets used less frequently and those not used anymore.
Since there are different types of outlet covers, you may want to know how to pick the right one for your home.
How To Choose The Right Outlet Cover?
Keep the following points in mind when selecting outlet covers:
- It has the right fit: Check if the cover fits over the power outlets at your home correctly. It should not be so loose that the baby can remove it easily. Refer to the guidelines of both the outlet and outlet cover manufacturer for more info about compatibility.
- Works for your baby or toddler: Outlet caps may not be suitable for older toddlers who can remove it. Therefore, pick an outlet cover that can deter your baby or toddler fiddling with it.
- Does not interfere with wiring: Avoid covers that may require extensive changes in the socket and the internal wiring. You don’t want to spend on something to complicate the wiring and design further.
So, have you now decided on the type of cover to buy? Then let’s see some of the best outlet covers available in the market.
15 Best Outlet Covers
Best Outlet Plug Covers
1. Jool Baby Products Outlet Plug Covers
- The caps are made from a transparent material and don’t disturb the aesthetics of the wall much.
- Parents can easily install the cover by inserting it into the outlet without the use of tools.
- Once the plugs have served their use, remove them with hand or a non-metal tool.
- Each pack has 32 outlet covers.
2. Mommy’s Helper Outlet Plugs
- Simple and easy-to-use design. Place the plugs into the outlet and it’s done.
- The plugs snugly fit into the outlet and cannot be removed by tiny hands.
- To remove, place your fingernail on the edge of the plug and pull it out. You can also use a non-metallic tool to pry out the plug.
- It fits all two and three-prong outlets. You can get it in a pack of 36 and 144 pieces.
3. Wappa Baby Outlet Covers
- The circular outlet cover is designed such that it stays firmly in the outlet. Babies won’t be able to remove them even if they tug hard at them.
- The cover is made from high-quality, unbreakable ABS plastic, which has electric insulation properties.
- Each pack consists of 50 covers. The manufacturer provides a 90-day return window in case of dissatisfaction with the product.
4. LeftPro Outlet Plug Covers
- The plugs have a simple design and are durable. It takes a few seconds to install the cover into the outlet.
- The thick cap covers the holes of the outlet entirely and makes the baby less curious about the power outlet.
- One pack consists of 60 outlet covers.
5. Munchkin Baby Proofing Outlet Plug Covers
- It has a smooth, semi-spherical design, which blends into the outlet quite neatly.
- The shape of the outlet cover gives it a smooth exterior, which does not provide adequate grip to a baby or a toddler to remove it.
- You get 36 or 72 covers in one pack.
6. Dreambaby Outlet Plugs
- The cover is cut in the shape of the outlet. So it covers only the area of the socket and does not extend much on the faceplate.
- The design makes the cover inconspicuous.
- One pack consists of 24 pieces.
7. Safety 1st Secure Press Plug Protectors
- It slides into the outlet cover easily. When you press the button on the top, the cover pops out exposing the outlet to plug your appliance in.
- The pop-out design prevents your fingernails from getting damaged when you try to remove the cover by its rim.
- You can choose between a pack of 36 and 72.
8. Balfer Baby Proofing Electrical Outlet Plug Covers
- The plug cover has a unique design of lock and key. Once you slide the cover on the outlet, you can use a plastic key to pull it out again.
- The use of key makes removal easy and you do not have to use any other tool to pry open the cover.
- You get 24 covers and four keys in one pack.
Best Box Covers
9. LectraLock Duplex Style Outlet Cover
- The back panel of the box replaces the faceplate of the outlet, while the external box-shaped cover sits over it to prevent access to the socket or the plugs.
- The plastic of the box is transparent and impact resistant. The box has grooves on the side to allow the wires to pass through.
- Only an adult can remove the cover.
10. Safety Innovations Twin Door Outlet Box
- The box comes with a back panel, which replaces the faceplate of the power outlet. It fits the panel of the outlet.
- Two doors cover the plugs and the outlet cover. A groove at the bottom leaves space for the wire to pass through.
- Press the button, on top and bottom of the box, to open the doors.
11. Dreambaby Dual Fit Plug and Electrical Outlet Cover
- The rear panel replaces the main faceplate of the electrical outlet cover. The box then anchors to the back panel.
- Two latches on either side of the box need to be pressed simultaneously to release the cover. This design prevents a baby or a toddler from accessing the power outlet.
- You get four covers in one pack.
Best Sliding Covers
12. Safety Innovations Self-closing Outlet Covers
- It replaces the existing faceplate of the outlet cover. The sliders keep the outlet blocked from the baby unless a parent requires it.
- You can choose the single-screw or two-screw cover depending on the power outlet you have at home.
- The outlet cover is available in three colors and comes in a pack of six.
13. ModaBebis Universal Self-Closing Electrical Outlet Covers
- It replaces the existing faceplate of your power outlet. A sliding cover keeps the outlet shut. When you need to insert the plug, just put the plug into the cover and slide it right to get it into the socket.
- The slider-style cover stays in ‘close’ position unless pushed to the ‘open’ position while inserting a plug. This design blocks access to the outlet entirely.
- It is made from ABS plastic, which is resistant to fire. The material is also durable and free from BPA.
- You can buy the outlet cover in a pack of two, four, six, or eight.
Best Outlet Cover Panel
14. CoverPlug Outlet Cover
- The panel has two prongs at the back that fit into the ground opening of the outlet. No screws and no tools required for installation.
- The prongs fit snugly into the outlet and prevent the panel from falling off.
- The exterior of the panel is paintable. It means you can paint it with a color that matches the wall.
15. HowPlumb Blank Wall Switch Plate Outlet Cover
- If you do not want to compromise the look of your house, then pick this outlet cover panel made entirely from wood.
- You get a ridged edge with a groove pattern on the top, which renders a stylish look to the cover.
- The manufacturer ships it with color-matching screws. The material is functional and durable.
Nothing works better than a well-fitting cover when it comes to eliminating the risks that power outlets pose. Buy one or more of these to keep the baby safe, and you will have one less thing to worry about when the baby crawls and walks to explore every nook and corner of the house.
Have you used an outlet cover at your home? Which one do you prefer the most? Tell us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.