Gushing hormones, boyfriends, girlfriends, school, peer pressure and so much more. Ah, teen life is not easy! Teenagers have to deal with multiple emotions as it is, and a stressful skin condition is the last thing they want to worry about. That said, skin care for teens is the first step in their journey towards healthy and beautiful skin.
The desire to have flawless skin can make you anxious. But don’t worry! In this post, MomJunction shares a skin care regimen to keep your skin healthy and glowing. Let’s begin with the skin types.
What’s Your Skin Type?
Identifying the skin type correctly is crucial for developing the perfect skin care routine for you. Typically, the skin type is determined by genetics and the climatic conditions in the area.
Skin types are categorized into oily, normal, dry, and combination skin. Keep reading to know what your skin type is.
- Normal skin is even-toned, neither oily nor dry, and pores are barely visible. This type of skin has a balanced sebum production that keeps the skin healthy.
- Oily skin is acne-prone with visible pores and a shiny surface. This type of skin produces excessive sebum, which may sometimes lead to clogged pores.
- Dry skin is dull, patchy, parched, and sometimes itchy. Lack of sebum production and dehydration may also result in dry and flaky skin.
- Combination skin is when you have a mix of both oily and dry skin. People with a combination skin type often experience an oily T-zone, which includes the forehead and nose. The cheeks and chin remain dry.
Flawless skin is not entirely dependent on the DNA. Lifestyle, diet, and skin care routine also have an effect on the skin. Therefore, regardless of the skin type, you can improve their skin health with a healthy routine.
Skin Care Routine For Teens: Four Simple Steps To Healthy Skin
Are you struggling to keep up with a skincare regimen? The foundation of flawless skin is a healthy skin care routine, which must be followed consistently. But how does one find time to develop a routine which is simple yet effective.
Here, we tell you about a basic skin care routine for teens.
The primary step of skin care is to cleanse the skin thoroughly. No matter what your skin type is, choose a cleanser with mild ingredients that will not rip off the essential oils from your skin. An oil-based cleanser is ideal for night time when you need to get rid of the excessive sweat, makeup, dirt, or grime from the skin. It should be followed up with a soap-free foam cleanser. For the morning routine, you can choose a gentle foam-based cleanser.
The second step is to use a toner that helps in the shrinking of large pores. The toner cleans and closes the pores, and rejuvenates the skin. Choose the toner carefully and avoid the ones that may contain alcohol and other chemical ingredients that could harm the skin. You may consider buying toners made of plant-based ingredients that are safe and gentle on the skin.
The next step is to lock in all the moisture with the help of a hydrating and nourishing moisturizer. A moisturizer is like food for the skin, so choose one that is light and oil-free. The ideal moisturizer is the one that suits your skin type and helps in maintaining the right moisture levels in the skin.
The final step in your skin care is to wear sunblock. A good habit for life is to protect the skin from the harsh UV rays of the sun. Rain or shine, sunscreen is a must. If you are into sports and stay outdoors often, buy a sunscreen with SPF more than 35. If you spend most time indoors, one with SPF of 15 is good enough.
A skin care routine may not be one-size-fits-all and varies from one person to another. It depends on a lot of aspects such as weather conditions, age, time of the day, and lifestyle. However, these four steps are the basis for any skin care routine and can be customized as per the requirements of your skin type.
Keep reading as we tell you why every teenager needs a good skincare regimen.
Benefits Of A Good Skincare Regime
No amount of designer wear or fancy shoes can hide damaged skin, because the face is the first thing that people notice. A good skincare routine plays a significant role in promoting healthy skin, in spite of the hormonal changes that you go through at this age.
Also, building a skin care regime proves fruitful in the long run. Some benefits of teenage skin care are discussed below.
- Keeps skin clean and fresh: An everyday skincare ritual ensures that the skin is clean and feels fresh all the time. It removes all the dirt and grime, unclogs pores and eliminates the dead skin.
- Reduces stress: Healthy and glowing skin boosts an individual’s confidence. This helps in reducing stress levels and strengthens the skin’s immune system as well.
- Delays aging: Research suggests that a good skin care regime is beneficial in delaying the aging process (1). The earlier one starts, the better it is. Pollution, fast-paced lifestyles and the lack of nutritious food can cause a lot of damage to the skin inside and out, even for teenagers. A skincare regime helps in combating these problems and delays the signs of aging.
- Keeps your skin hydrated: The importance of hydration and moisturizing cannot be stressed enough. Drinking enough water helps in maintaining the elasticity of your skin and keeping it healthy.
The skin is the largest barrier against infections or diseases. A good skin care regime also helps in keeping this protective layer on our body safe.
Skin Care Tips For Teens
It is hard but not impossible to deal with raging hormones and take care of skin at the same time. Here are a few skincare tips for teens to use.
- Do you know how many times you touch the face during the day? You may not keep a count of it, because most of the time, you do it unknowingly. So to avoid scars and prevent more pimples from popping up, try to keep your hands away from your face. Also, keep your nails clipped.
If you have acne-prone skin, then picking or popping pimples on the face is also a strict no-no, no matter how badly you want to get rid of them. Instead, apply a spot treatment on active acne and not touch the face.
- Water therapy works wonders for all skin types. Water contains nutrients that are good for your overall health. It helps in detoxifying and keeping the gut clean, which reflects on your skin. Ideally, a person must drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
- Exfoliating once a week helps in the removal of dead skin and blackheads. It also makes the skin soft and supple. Take extra care during exfoliation or scrubbing the skin, especially if your skin is sensitive or you have pimples. Avoid chemical-laden exfoliating agents; stick to gentle scrubs such as brown sugar.
- A balanced diet that includes raw fruits, veggie salads, and healthy juices can nourish the skin. The more colorful your plate, the better it is. Just make sure you don’t include any foods that you are allergic to.
- Cleansing, toning, and moisturizing are three steps which you must include in your morning and night skincare routines. This helps in maintaining your skin’s good health.
- Keep the makeup minimal and avoid products with harsh chemicals. Sometimes makeup products damage the skin further. Therefore, buy lightweight products which are safe and do not forget to perform a patch test before applying anything on the face.
- Do not go to bed without removing the makeup. You may be tired and exhausted after a long day at school or college, but you must take the makeup off before hitting the sack. Sleeping with makeup on is inviting various skin infections.
It takes ten minutes or less to take off the makeup and cleanse the face thoroughly. Using makeup removal wipes makes the job even easier.
- A smile is an accessory which enhances beauty. Your lips are a part of your face and must not be ignored during the skincare regimen. Every once in a while, scrubbing the lips is important. After that, use a nourishing lip balm to moisturize them. Avoid wearing lipsticks that may dry and crack your lips.
- Sunblock is a must. Wearing sunscreen with a good SPF helps our skin combat the damage that the UV rays cause. Choose a sunscreen based on your activities for the day and apply it at least 30 minutes before heading out.
- Sleep is equally important. Did you know, the skin repairs itself while we are asleep? Our body calms down, and the skin rejuvenates itself during your sleep. Therefore, you must get enough sleep, at least eight to nine hours, every night.
Teenage years are the golden period of one’s life. Skin problems can cause stress and ruin the amazing time you might otherwise have. But not when you follow the right skincare regimen, along with the skincare tips we shared here. A simple skincare routine for teenagers, plus a little care and persistence, for flawless and healthy glowing skin is an achievable task.
What is your daily skincare routine? Share your tips on teenage skin care in the comment section below.